Sunday, August 30, 2009

Picking up the pace

Only a 24km run today. It's all relative I guess. Not so long ago 24k would have been an 'OMG this is a freaking long way run,' but not now. And lest I think things are actually getting easier, those wacky guys a Furman (whose program I am following) decree that this run would ratchet up the pace to make up for the shorter distance. Lots of fun!

The last couple of weeks I have found the first km or so a bit hard. Not pace hard, but just getting my body into the groove and my head in the right place. Both times I have wondered if I'd be able to finish the planned run. Not sure why.

These runs are basically in four parts: down to the beach, along the beach foreshore and back, then run back up to home. And, given terrain and wind have not varied at all, it is essentially an easy warm-up down to the beach, hard slog into the wind, easier run back with the wind and hard slog uphill to home. I think the time splits below show that out.

Today, if it was at all possible, the wind was probably stronger than it has ever been???? Certainly it had more "west" in it and less "north." In any case, it was unpleasant on the run from Brighton up to Elwood. I pray that we get a relatively calm day for the race. This wind just sucks big time.

I certainly picked it up for the first 6k of the second half of the run, covering this in 4.42m/k which is quite good. Obviously the mother of all winds was behind me so it probably isn't that great. What I was pleased with, though, was the time up South Road. I traditionally struggle along here. Today, somehow, it was a quick-paced struggle - despite walking for a few seconds when it just got a bit hard.

Overall, very pleased with this run. The training plan says to run it in 1:56 and the watch says I did 1:55.44 so right on target. Another woo hoo! And a great end to the running week.

Total run: 24km in 1:55.44hrs (4.49m/k)

1-6km 28.32min (4.45/9.30/14.09/18.56/23.46/28.32)  4.45m/k
7-12km 29.22min (33.20/38.04/42.52/47.51/52.44/57.54)  4.53m/k
13-18km 28.15min (62.32/67.10/71.56/76.37/81.22/86.09)  4.42m/k
19-24km 29.35min (91.02/95.59/100.54/106.01/110.49/115.44)  4.55m/k

Only three more big weeks now!

2 comments:

  1. The first mile of a run is often the toughest for me, too. Legs are waking up, and the miles ahead of me are dounting. That's when I break the run into smaller parts. I usually do an out and back, so I only tell myself I am going 10 (if in fact I am doing 20), and then break the 10 into 2 5 mile runs. These mental tricks help a lot. Nice runs, look like marathon training is going great. You are one week ahead of me with teh FIRST plan. Ana-Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana-Maria. I have enjoyed reading your blog, your training seems to be coming along nicely too. I am right into mental tricks and am working on a whole series of new ones to unleash on myself (!) come race day. I have also found that knowing where every single km marker is on my run course means I don't need to think more than about 4-5minutes ahead. Paul :-)

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP