Thursday, April 16, 2009

Did I mention how windy it was ...

It has taken me a day to be able to recall this session without needing therapy. My goodness, yesterday’s run was abominable. Or should I say that the weather made it so.

I awoke at 6am to go to the track for some 1k and 2k repeats. The trees were already bent over double from the strong wind and it took all my will power to actually get out of the house. My legs still weren’t feeling particularly zippy so this one was going to be a stretch.

The main reps were: 1km, 2km, 1km, 1km with 400m easy in between. The target time for 1km was 4.01 and 2km was 8.24.

The wind was blustery but manageable for the first 1km which I did in 4.03. For the second and third reps it was blowing an absolute gale (apparently 60-80kph) so half of each lap felt like running up and down on the spot. The times there were slow: 8.37 and 4.28 but felt very hard. For the final km it just got plain ridiculous as pelting rain came down with the wind still howling. That was about as miserable a km as I have ever run and I was pleased (?) to get it done in 4.27. So I did not make time in any of the reps but feel as though I got a good workout anyway … and some mental toughness to boot. The total run was 10.4km in 55.43min.

The footnote to the story is that when I returned home and got into the shower our power went out leaving me to enjoy (!) more COLD water. I was not a happy camper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP